Monday, February 21, 2011

You gotta watch this video!!!

First of all, just WATCH this video...


Pretty cool, huh?  I found this video about a year ago, and I find myself watching it at least once a week.  Obviously RSAnimate is pretty amazing, but I love the overall tone and message of the clip.

I think every educator in America should watch this video, but maybe not for the reasons you may think I do.  I don't think the clip has all the answers, or that every claim in the video is necessarily accurate. 

However, I think this clip challenges us to question and really think about some of the inherent questions about education.  Questions like:
          1.  Why do we do basic things we do?  (group kids by age, etc.)
          2.  What is the overall goal of our educational system?
          3.  What are we really producing, and is that what we WANT to produce?
          4.  Do we have a duty to find a "new way", or is the current way effective with just some tweaks?

I think the questions brought up are ones that really can get teachers thinking and talking.  And THAT should be the overall goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment